What You Need For Your Self-Assessment

We need the below information as a basic ‘shopping list’ – we do appreciate it takes time to gather this together, but hopefully this will help as an overview:

Your Self-Assessment will require information for the time period from 6 April to 5 April.


If you have been an employee or a director (of your own or another company), you should have information of the wages that you have received and any tax paid.

You may have documentation such as:

  • P60 or P45 (often provided on a secure payroll software under ‘documents’)
  • Payslips if you don’t have the above
  • Any benefits in kind received usually reported on a P11D form


If you receive private pension payments, you should have a copy of a P60 or a certificate of pension paid for each tax year.

If you receive state pension, you should have a letter detailing this.


If you’ve been a sole trader (this includes hobbies that generate income), partner or if you have your own limited company and pay yourself, we will need you to provide:

  • Business records (bookkeeping or you may use accounting software)
  • Details of any partnership income
  • Details of any dividends received from your limited company


If you have any other income such as:

  • Money from renting out a property
  • Income from savings, investments and dividends
  • Foreign income
  • Money from another source but without payslips or tax deductions

(if you are unsure, with sight of your bank statements we will be able to assist)

In order for us to complete your Tax Return, we will send you a letter of engagement for you to confirm that you are happy for us to act as your Agent, and once we have all documentation together, we will send you a draft version to check over and approve. Get in touch with us today and get started!

What You Need For Your Self-Assessment